Sunday, January 27, 2013

Late Night Thoughts

Another great week of training down. I've been running about 70 miles a week for the past three weeks and plan to move up to about 80 this week. Although I've been a bit tired my legs have been responding well. Friday I ran in the afternoon and then had this brilliant thought. I'd like to sleep in Saturday morning. So, at about 10:30 PM I headed downstairs with a few water bottles, movies, and snacks. After firing up the dreadmill I figured I had at least 26 miles in me, this on top of the already near 10 I did that afternoon. The first few miles actually went really well, and it wasn't until about 30 minutes into my second movie when I started questioning my sanity. At this point my wife and kids had been asleep for hours and I had run 20 miles on the 'mill. Not my favorite venue but when you're running through the night and not sure how far you want to go, it works well.
I started thinking about the race. Only three full months plus some until I have to toe the line for 135 miles. I decided I would run 30 instead of 26. That would make it 40 for the day ... ish, let's say 12 hour period. At about 25 miles into the run I realized ... wow. I'm going to have to run 135? Ugh. Training is going to have to step up a notch. The run went well and I finished the last few miles in a great ultra trance, just running. And of course my 3 year old was in my side of the bed when I finally crawled upstairs. I moved her, but she wouldn't stay in her bed. So instead of sleeping in I didn't sleep at all. It's gonna get crazy. Miles ... here I come.


No comments:

Post a Comment