Monday, March 18, 2013

Ups, Downs, Ups, Downs

It has been a roller coaster the last few weeks. I had a week or two with limited mileage, my calves were having some issues. A session with a very talented PT who dry needled my calves into swiss cheese really helped. I've also had really great weeks. Last week I pushed through an evening run that turned into a long run, finishing at 2:am for 40 miles. Didn't even feel sore.
Last week I had one of those days where I thought "what am I thinking? 135 miles? I can't do it." Then I slapped myself and went on a run. Later that day I found out that I was selected to run for the Pearl Izumi promotional team. Ups, downs, ups, downs.
Now I'm feeling confident once again. Things are tough. In life and training, but I accept the challenge. Every day I look at what I need to do in order make those fine tuning tweaks to make everything better.  I won't lie. Tomorrow I expect I will continue to face life's challenges full in the face but I'm going to fight through every minute. Today I celebrated my son's 7th birthday. Such sweet joy. He smiled, we all laughed, and enjoyed the family together. It was a highlight, and will likely be one of the highest points of my week.
Tomorrow I hope to run like I did today. It felt effortless, and at a pace that over a month ago was a struggle to hit.
Ups, downs, ups, downs. Just like a long endurance run. Fight through the downs so you can celebrate the ups.

No comments:

Post a Comment